Monday, September 21, 2009

Plan B, just a negotiation technique?

I’m in the stairwell on the 7th floor of my building. The only private place I could find on short notice. I am leaving in a few minutes to drive to Orlando to give the Company an altermatim. I need to close my business on Oct. 1 unless something is done to help stop the financial bleeding. But I have studied negotiations, I am in a very bad spot: I have all my eggs in the same basket and could look desperate. I need an option and I need it fast. Something that I can have in the back of my mind, for my future, if I close my business. Like a “Plan B.” So I call my friend. I have sailed with her and her husband, many times and I know he had planned and executed a 2 year plan to sail the Mediterranean and Caribbean homeschooling their 2 boys while she pursued her career and flew to Ports meeting them along the way. The boat was 5 months into the trip. Surprisingly she answers her cell having been caught between her many meetings. Between sobs, I explain that I need a backup plan in case I need to quit my job. I ask “Could I crew for the rest of the trip?” The answer came quick, “Can we fly you there next week?” she responds excitedly.

And now, I’m ready for my meeting.

No comments: