Monday, February 1, 2010

Actions and Reactions

Once I decided to change my life, the first person I called was my sister. I blurted it out in all one sentence that was longer than I had breath for.

Then slowly, I told a few friends my plans of leaving. After that my manager and assistant. The meeting with the Company Director could not have gone better. He is a fair, hard working and a long term employee that "got it" when he heard my story.

Then an email to friends and extended family and then my clients:

There is a season…a time to plant and a time to uproot… After 26 years in business in Daytona Beach, I have decided that it is my time to uproot.
The entire country is not without some suffering and changes with the economic climate and I understand I am not alone. But it has been hard on me as an Independent Contractor/self employed ad rep to continue. I tell you this only because my future sounds amazing, but I have struggled with this decision.

End of March, I have decided to join a some friends on their 2 year sailing adventure to see parts of the World, study and learn. The boat is an Alden 44 cutter Sailboat and I will be permanent crew as others join on and off during the time. I plan to return summer of 2011. I plan to pursue a writing career while I’m gone and have the fortunate bonus of my friend Shirish (the Captain) being a published author of 6 books (Published name; SV Date). I will have a personal blog and welcome you to follow my adventure!
...

Now, the burden of living a lie is behind me and the reactions from people are mostly positive, sometimes surprising, and always full of questions.

I've only had 3 initial bad reactions. One yelled. One sobbed. One said "No you don't want to do that. Get a job with the Local paper." ...I would sooner dive from my 7th floor office except they refuse to put in a balcony for only me.

Everyone else has been so kind; one client said it best.
"I'd leave Daytona Beach and the Company to sail the World... which part of that were you struggling with?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am that sister. Edee is incredible and I'm so blessed to have her in my life. When she told me of her plans, I knew she had found the right path for her now. Edee and I have shared so much - a crazy Dad and bad teeth genes as well as a very rich (in experiences, not the green stuff) heritage. We’re both “changing courses” but mine is much more mundane. We both found our new course about the same time last year – I’ve found a new career direction after being laid off as well as left a philandering husband and 21 year marriage. Helen Keller said it best – “Life is a daring adventure – or nothing” - Here’s to Life , Edee – may it continue to be rich.