Thursday, March 18, 2010

Trust Me

Things need to fall into place now. I made a plan and now I must trust other people to fill in…but like the best layed plan…things just don’t seem to go my way.
BUSINESS: I’ve had my business for 26 years, but unlike a brick and mortar store, I am a independent contractor at the mercy of the company. Other’s advice about leaving up until now has been, “Edee, it’s a corporation, you need to…” (basically take a hard approach). I disagree and say, “No, it’s like family and I trust ‘them’ to take care of me.” I decide to tell them with plenty of time to react (3 months). Yet later on the very day I tell them that I am leaving, they lower my commission for the remaining months. Coincidence?
Then, since I get paid from only what is sold, I ask in writing for an end package of 3 months commission for helping with the transition and all the sales I’ve made for later in 2010. I’m told “Trust Me,” as I continue to sell into the future. On the very day I go over 124 accounts with the Boss-man, the new rep and my online partner, I’m later told that “they” approved only 15 days. Coincidence?
The skeptic x-big corporate retiree at “my” Starbucks laughs and shakes his head at me. My entrepreneur friend is given the right to tell me “I told you so.” And the people at the company that fought so hard in my respect have “learned a lesson.”
SELLING MY SUV: I need to sell my car. It’s a Toyota Highlander so I call a contact at Daytona Toyota and ask if they buy Toyota’s outright. Yes. I meet with the used car manager who has been there for a long time. I get an offer of $8500. This means I will not have to sell if privately which I have time for, but it would take more work. Delighted I make an appointment for 9 days later. Yet on the very day he quoted me, he left to take a job a Ford. Later, I’m shocked to find out he’s gone and I’m told they are not interested. With 3 days left, I have no time or choice. A wholesale friend saves the day and gets it taken care of quickly. I lose $1800 because someone quit their job on the same day they quoted. Coincidence?
AND MORE: Computer parts come in wrong, my councilor at Mid-Florida Housing Partnership does not return emails or calls, the renters interested in my house fall through, Mr. Incredible is in jail for 4 DUI’s (see post Attraction or Distraction), my 86 year old father is hospitalized and I’m told he will not make it out (he does but things are touch and go), and British Airways (my flight) goes on strike.
And this is how my last 12 days go.
Severely discouraged, I just want to believe that the “corporate” bull does not exist, that people see value, reward longevity and do what they say. That trusting people still exists and it’s worthy and real. Did I naively grow up in Kansas or am I just dumb?
Then my friend Sheri just happens to call.
“Is God trying to tell me to be skeptical of every single person and trust no one from now on?” I ask.
In her typical, unique opinion she answers, “No, I think God is trying to make it easy for you to leave and not look back!”
Perfect Coincidence. Perfect Answer.

No comments: