Friday, April 9, 2010

On the Hard: hard work

Sibari, Italy---They call it "on the hard" I called it "on the rack" but now, I think they had it right all along and "hard" stands for hard work.

The day we were hauled out we starting immediately, taping the water line and laying down the first coat of toxic, heavy bottom paint. First it would be two coats of blue on all friction points, then two coats of black. Everything else got one coat of each.

Decked in five layers of clothing due to the cold chill, I covered my hair with a bandanna and between my pink socks and very baggy boat working Capri's, I looked like a cross between Aunt Jamima and a bag lady, but I painted, and painted. The second day I tried my running cap which managed to get paint on it.

I couldn't resist a few messages on the very bottom (as seen in photos) which did not thrill the Captain-on-a-mission attitude Shirish had, but he took it in good humor.
Living in the Hard means that you must climb up and down a 15 foot ladder to get up top, even at 3am if you have to go to the bathroom, which is now about 3 blocks away. (...and did I mention night temps are about 50 degrees?!) We all still felt like she was rocking. If she was, we'd have a real problem, but it was only what all boaters feel after being on the water.
Our muscles ached and yet we pushed on, finishing the last coat on the third day with enough time to take a break. Juno is beautiful. Now we are back in the water, with a stealth-like bottom ready to take on any sea creature who approaches.

1 comment:

Staci said...

Miss you.....
I keep picking up my phone to call you and realize I can't ugh...
You working soooooo hard! Maintaining a boat is intense but what a beautiful thing she is....
Love the photo's ..... please keep them coming!
Things here are great, just missing you :-)

Much love,
Staci