Saturday, June 26, 2010

Art in Mykonos

Bay of Onus, Mykonos, Greece---There is a lot of Art going on in the Greek Islands. It’s in the air, the sea, the mountains and the sparkling white washed villas that dot the country side. Being in this atmosphere, if you have it in you, creativity will want to burst out from inside. I sense it in myself. I bought some watercolor paints and will see what they lead to.


In the last days, I’ve met some amazing artists as I’ve wandered in and out of shops in the maze of shops they call Mykonos Town. I’ve taken a bus there for the past 2 days. It’s a 20 minute ride to a town 6 minutes away due to going the long way around. But it’s a cheap fare and I get to see more of the island.

Different forms of art are all around: jewelry, pop art, sculpture, watercolor and oil paintings. But there is a different sense about the ones “original to Greece, original to this island”; it’s art for arts’ sake.

In one shop, I spoke with the artist after admiring her “Andy Warhol” style of her painting and art (all sizes of brightly painted “fun” paper papier-mâché pieces). She said “I wanted to create art that everyone can afford, that everyone gets to have at home.” Wow, how un-American I thought.

Oh yeah, I’m in Greece.

Not that there aren’t Greek capitalists and those with monetary goals doing art here, it’s just a different feel. Perhaps it is the beauty of the islands all around you. The 360 degrees of wonder that brings out beauty, imagination…art held inside you.



Note about photo: Artist in shop in Mykonos

No comments: