Sunday, March 6, 2011

Arriving in Panama on my Birthday. Best gift ever!


Sunset on March 5, 2011
 Caribbean Sea---It’s 2:50 in the morning and my cabin light is switched on and I hear a heavy Spanish accent say “Oppy beerthay ethee,” it’s Jake and it’s time for my 3am watch. It’s my birthday and never in a million years did I think that 2011’s March 6 would be spent arriving into Panama.

We have made incredible time catching an ocean current; we flew at 9-10 knots even when the wind was only 7-8! The captain saw 14 knots down one wave. It’s like tubing on a fast river or a water park, plus add a little wind and we are along for the ride. But it’s still tricky, we are going down wind with a pole forcing one sail one way and the main set for the other way, this gives a small window for error to keep the wind positioned correctly behind us. Yesterday the swell picked up and nice big waves tumbled behind us or picked us up and rolled underneath us. Beautiful.

We are 39 miles from Panama and it’s my birthday. The time on my birth certificate reads 2:50 in the morning. Ironic.

 Sunrise on March 6, 2011


No comments: